publication • Monday, November 27th 2017
EU Partnerships trainee
Established in 1950, World Vision (WV) is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. We work in nearly 100 countries to serve millions of the world’s most vulnerable people, regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender or sexual orientation.
Overall purpose of the trainee position:
The job holder will contribute to the optimal functioning of WV EUREP and to the achievement of one of its strategic objectives: facilitation of the development of sustained and increasing EU revenue by European World Vision offices and their partners. The purpose of the position is to support strengthening WV partnership with the European Commission with research analysis on key funding trends and knowledge management on EU funding opportunities.
Reporting to: Head of EU partnerships
Duration: 12 months
WV EUREP is an international non-profit association constituted and registered in Belgium. Its membership includes World Vision organisations in EU member states and World Vision International.
WV EUREP is one of the key ‘Global Capitals’ offices of World Vision international, established in places where issues are discussed and decisions are taken that are of global significance and importance to all of World Vision’s work across the globe.
WV EUREP supports the work of the international partnership of World Vision. Specifically, it enables member organisations and the Partnership as a whole to work more effectively with the EU institutions in terms of resource development and in terms of influencing policies that reduce poverty and promote justice in the developing world.
As one of its core activities, WV EUREP Partnerships team assists World Vision organisations to build a strong partnership with the European Commission to facilitate the development of sustained and increasing EU revenue by European World Vision offices and their partners. WV EUREP Advocacy team initiates policy dialogue, and policy lobbying with EU institutions on behalf of and in consultation with members on issues relevant to WV's operations and facilitates contacts between World Vision entities and the EU institutions. In this context, WV EUREP also coordinates the work the European Programmes Reference Group (EPRG), bringing together programme and grant managers of member organisations. This group specifically deals with programmes, partnership and grants from the EU.
Specific responsibilities, tasks and activities
1. Support implementation of strategy for EU funding with DEVCO and NEAR
- Provide constructive inputs to support Head of EU partnerships in development of strategies and annual work plans
2. Support grants acquisition for DEVCO and NEAR:
- Monitor on a daily basis EuropeAid/DEVCO and NEAR funding opportunities at global and country level, including particularly opportunities under the EU Trust Funds (EUTF), and provide regular updates.
- Assist in the follow-up of information requested to/from WV Offices (Support, Regional, National) with regards to large funding opportunities (specifically EUTF funding issues)
- Support the EU Partnerships specialists in the consolidation and regular updating of the WV EC grants databases and analysis.
- Assist in the reviewing and analyzing WV’s results with EC funding (specifically on the EUTFs).
- Analyze EC programming documents, including Annual Action Plans for thematic and geographic programmes as well as of EUTF programme documents
- Assist WV Support and National Offices within the proposal development process, review grants to the EC.
- Provide helpdesk support services to national and support offices
3. Support the implementation of the team engagement plans for DEVCO and NEAR
- Monitor EU newsletters, press releases, key internet portals, EU websites, and events corresponding to the WV Brussels and EUREP objectives and disseminate information about upcoming funding to World Vision’s Grants Acquisition and Management (GAM) staff in support, regional, national offices and other relevant World Vision constituencies.
- Attend relevant info sessions/conferences on topics related to EC development funding in Brussels and report back to EUREP Partnership team
- Establish and maintain a shared folder with country specific information, including key information on current programmes under the EUTFs (Bekou, Madad, WA and HoA).
- In coordination with support and national offices, assist the development of a strategic EC engagement plan for WV priority countries under the EUTFs including investment analysis/snapshot of current EC development investment portfolio in given country.
- Support external engagement with DEVCO and NEAR at Brussels level (meeting organization, contribute to briefing notes, note/minutes taking)
- Maintain EC engagement tracker up-to-date and establish on this basis a for WV relevant EC contact list
4. Support on capacity building on EU donors
- Support the elaboration of tools for internal coordination, information sharing and quality control of application submitted to the EC
- Support the organisation of trainings/ workshops around EC grants for different entities within the WV partnership in Brussels.
5. Internal and external communication within World Vision and with INGO peers:
- Maintain an up-to-date contact database of relevant focal points and staff within the wider WV partnership, including support, regional and national offices
- Attend relevant civil society working groups and meetingstaking place in Brussels or beyond that are related to funding of Development and Humanitarian Aid.
6. Any other activities contributing to the achievement of WV EUREP Partnerships team’s strategic objectives for EU funding.
- University degree or equivalent experience in development, economics, politics, international relations or a field relevant to World Vision’s mission.
- A good understanding of the functioning of the European Union institutions, development policies, specifically related to children ;
- Excellent written and spoken command of English.
- Team spirit and willingness to work in a multicultural team;
- Able to communicate effectively and to collaborate with colleagues based in all regions and countries where WV works;
- Good organisational skills, with the ability to work at high standard even under pressure, good prioritisation skills and ability to meet deadlines;
- Fully computer-literate: skilled and confident user of office applications
- Support for World Vision’s core values.
- To be a either a citizen of an EU member state or have a valid residence and work permit for Belgium (Nota Bene: WV EUREP is unable to assist candidates in obtaining the required residence and work permits)
- Good command of French will be an asset.
- Understanding/experience with EuropeAid grants
- Previous experience in a related field (EU institutions, fundraising for NGOs, etc);
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a one-page maximum cover letter by e-mail not later than 10th of December 2017, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Due to limited resource we won’t be able to reply to individual query.