publication • Tuesday, September 12th 2017
Responding to East Africa's Hunger Crisis - Situation Report #10
Still, there is more work to do.
On the ground, World Vision's staff continue to highlight the following key issues:
- Millions of children are going hungry: Food and water shortages affect more than 24 million people in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia. 5.5 million children in Ethiopia, Kenya, South Sudan and Somalia are projected to be malnourished by the end of the year. Already, more than 600,000 children under age 5 are identified as severely malnourished and are at risk of death without urgent action.
- Window of opportunity closing: International aid is urgently needed before the window of opportunity to help closes. The crisis is not getting the attention it needs to ensure children and their families are protected from a looming catastrophe.
- One in every three displaced in South Sudan: The hunger crisis is exacerbated by drought, conflict and political instability. It is forcing people to flee areas affected by conflict, where children are at risk of violence, exploitation and abuse. 4.9 million people in South Sudan and Somalia have fled conflict and starvation.
- Children are abandoning their education: As communities fracture and go in search of food and water, millions of children have abandoned schools. They risk being separated from families and exposed to harm and violence. 3.4 million children are in need of education support to stay in school. The need is most urgent among children who have fled their homes due to conflict or drought.
- Need to scale up response: With the recent growth in need in Ethiopia and Kenya, World Vision has increased its appeal to US$137 million to provide urgent humanitarian assistance in the four countries. Our response is meeting health, nutrition, child protection, livelihoods, education and water and sanitation needs, but more needs to be done.
For more information about World Vision's response programming, and the number of people reached, please download Situation Report 10.