publication • Tuesday, September 26th 2017
6 Month Appeal: Responding to Somalia's Hunger Crisis
In 2017, World Vision's response to Somalia's Hunger Crisis has reached more than 638,000 people. We have provided:
- 238,000 people with food assistance
- 225,000 with health and nutrition support
- 99,000 with clean water, hygiene and sanitation services
- 52,000 with food security and income generation activities
- 17,000 with shelter items and essential relief supplies
Going forward, we're hoping to reach another 700,000 people in the next six months of the response.
We continue to be concerned that:
- The situation is deteriorating - with 6.2 million in need of assistance
- Malnutrition rates are high - with 1.4 million children predicted to be at risk of malnutrition
- Many have been displaced by drought - with more than 766,000 leaving their homes due to drought
- Access to clean water is problematic - with 4.5 million in need
World Vision Somalia is requesting an additional $22 million US to reach 700,000 people during the next six months.