World Vision’s campaign ‘It takes a world to end violence against children’ was named because no one individual, group or organisation can solve this problem alone.
However, each of us is powerful and there are things we can do right now to better protect children at home and abroad. Here are just a few ideas:
1. Familiarise yourself with the problem. Violence against children happens in every country, city and community. Don’t believe us? Our global survey Fearing Wrong, found 76% of people knew a child victim of violence. Further, 62% thought the problem was increasing
2. Know that a world without violence against children is possible. There are seven proven solutions
3. Investigate whether children and young families in your community have somewhere to go if they’re experiencing violence. For example, in Myanmar, World Vision runs a hotline for child soldiers seeking help. And with partners in Lebanon, we have set up an e-helpline, where children can report abuses.
4. World Vision has established Community Based Child Protection Committees around the globe. These groups are trained to recognise child protection violations and refer children and families to the relevant places for help. The committees also help identify potential risks and gaps in services such as Positive Discipline workshops for parents and teachers. Could something similar benefit your community?
5. Ensure children in your life and community are aware of their rights and equipped with the life-skills needed to help protect themselves and resolve conflicts peacefully.
6. Advocate for law or policy change to better protect children at home and overseas. This can be achieved through petitions, letters to the editor, public actions and using your own platforms (including social media) to raise awareness
7. Organise public prayer vigils for children experiencing violence. For instance, the many millions of Syrian children affected by the war in their country
8. Welcome and support children and their families from other countries that seek refuge among you.
10. Add your voice by sharing this blog and following our campaign ‘It takes a world to end violence against children’ on social media. Twitter & Instagram: @worldvision Facebook: @WorldVisionInternational.
11. Remember, small acts multiplied by millions of people can transform the world. It takes all of us to end violence against children.