publication • Wednesday, August 22nd 2018
Rwanda - July 2018 Situation Report
- Security situation: While overall the security situation in Rwanda remains stable, the proximity to persistent conflicts in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Burundi makes Rwanda more vulnerable to refugee influx.
- Refugee count in Rwanda: Currently, Rwanda hosts an estimated 171,929 refugees (figures as of 30, October 2017), of these over 50% are from Burundi while, slightly over 45% are from the DRC and the rest of from other nationalities.
- Threat of refugee influx from the DRC: Due to violence and political tensions in the DRC ahead of the December elections, there are concerns of influx of refugees into Rwanda. The UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) estimates that 30,000 refugees will flee to Rwanda within the next 12 to 24 months.
- Contingency plans: In view of this, World Vision is strengthening its relationship with key partners and developing a contingency plan with UNHCR, so as to providing a comprehensive response to the refugeees.
- World Vision aims to scale up response: To meet the overwhelming needs of the refugees, World Vision’s response programme in Refugee camps is seeking $US2.6 to reach the 76,000 most vulnerable groups in five refugee camps hosting DRC refugees. For more information download our July 2018 situation report.