DR Congo: A New Ebola Variant Declared in Ituri Threatens Children’s Lives

Illustration photo: Response team during the Ebola response in Bulape in Kasai
Patrick Abega
Monday, May 18, 2026
  • Ituri Province is home to more than 900,000 internally displaced people.
  • Thousands of children are exposed to a high risk of infection.
  • The newly identified Ebola variant does not match any previously known strain and currently has no vaccine available.

Kinshasa, 18 May 2026 – The Government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has declared a new Ebola outbreak in the health zones of Bunia, Mongwalu, and Rwampara in Ituri Province. The initial toll, considered alarming, reports 246 suspected cases and 80 deaths, including 4 confirmed positive cases.

This new outbreak comes amid an already fragile humanitarian situation marked by massive population displacement, persistent insecurity, and limited access to basic healthcare services. Children are among the groups most exposed to this health threat.

“Our main concern is for children, who are the most vulnerable in a region already heavily affected by conflict and where humanitarian assistance remains insufficient due to a lack of resources. Drawing on our experience and working alongside all stakeholders, we are taking appropriate measures to limit the spread of this outbreak and save lives, particularly through hygiene promotion, with a special focus on areas hosting increasing numbers of internally displaced people. World Vision is working closely with health authorities to respond to this new disease,” said Philippe Guiton, National Director of World Vision DRC.

David Munkley, East zone Director, also stressed the urgency of a rapid response:

“Ituri is already facing an alarming situation of acute malnutrition, which further weakens people’s immune systems, combined with extremely limited access to healthcare in remote areas. A rapid and coordinated response will help save lives and reach the greatest number of affected people,” he said.

While expressing its sympathy to families grieving as a result of this outbreak, World Vision RDC reaffirms its commitment to supporting the response alongside health authorities and humanitarian partners, particularly in the areas of child protection, prevention through the promotion of good hygiene practices, and infection prevention and control.

World Vision has a long history of responding to Ebola outbreaks, not only in DR Congo but also in Uganda, Sierra Leone, and West Africa. During the 2018–2019 outbreak in eastern DRC, World Vision trained faith leaders and motorbike riders to deliver life-saving messages to remote communities. The Channels of Hope approach helped counter misinformation and stigma, building trust and resilience at the grassroots level. 

World Vision also contributed to the recent response to the Ebola outbreak in Bulape in Kasai by providing support to more than 200,000 children and patients, which enabled it to respond immediately to the outbreak, which was declared over in December 2025.  

As the situation in Ituri evolves, World Vision is calling for:

  1. Urgent funding for frontline response: We urge donors to release emergency funds to support health workers, community mobilisation, and protective equipment in Ituri and neighbouring provinces and countries.

  2. Strengthened regional coordination: We call on humanitarian actors and the DRC Government to enhance cross-border surveillance and preparedness, especially in high-risk zones.

END 

Notes to Editor:

For further information or to arrange an interview, please contact:

-Philippe Guiton, National Director, Philippe_Guiton@wvi.org, +243970053733 

-David Munkley, East Zone Director, David_Munkley@wvi.org, +243974053351

-Dr Philippe Ngenda, Health & Nutrition Specialist, Philippe_Ngenda@wvi.org+243991008490

-Patrick Abega, Communications & PE Manager, Patrick_Abega@wvi.org, +243993692903

For more information, visit: www.wvi.org/congo