Human trafficking is the recruitment and transport of a child or adult for the purposes of sexual exploitation or forced labour.
The enslavement of God’s children breaks His heart. Learn more about human trafficking, and join us in prayer for an end to the injustice of human trafficking and modern-day slavery.
Human trafficking statistics
The UNODC’s Global Report on Trafficking in Persons 2020 reveals:
- In 2018, about 50,000 human trafficking victims were detected and reported by 148 countries however, given the hidden nature of this crime, the actual number of victims trafficked is far higher.
- 50% of detected victims were trafficked for sexual exploitation, 38% were exploited for forced labour.
- Female victims continue to be the primary targets. Women make up 46% and girls 19% of all victims of trafficking.
- Globally, one in every three victims of trafficking detected is a child.
- The share of children among detected trafficking victims has tripled, while the share of boys has increased five times over the past 15 years.
Efforts to fight human trafficking
We have extensive programmes to combat child trafficking and modern-day slavery, including:
- Providing safe havens for trafficked children
- Counselling and vocational training to help children recover
- Reuniting trafficked children with their families
- Empowering children with knowledge on safe migration practices
- Building community awareness
- Cooperating with authorities to identify and prosecute traffickers
- Strengthening the overall protective environment for children in local communities
Prayer for an end to human trafficking
Pray for action
It’s easy to feel overwhelmed by the issue of human trafficking, but we can take action. We can speak out and insist that our elected officials support effective legislation, and we can support World Vision and other organisations to end trafficking and care for survivors.
Dear Lord, just as You helped Moses and Aaron as they spoke boldly to Pharaoh on behalf of the Hebrew slaves in Egypt, help us speak up for modern-day slaves around the world. We pray that through our actions we can help bring an end to human trafficking.
Pray for prevention
Poor families are vulnerable to the tactics of traffickers, who lure their victims with the promise of well-paying jobs in other cities or countries. Once isolated from their families, victims are forced to work for little or no pay and brutalised if they try to resist. One of the best ways to prevent human trafficking is to help families become self-sufficient.
Dear Lord, most of us reading this will never experience the kind of extreme poverty that millions of people live with every day. Help us to be understanding and compassionate toward their needs. Help us to love them in the way that You love them with the resources and abilities You’ve given to each of us. Help us to support people who are left newly impoverished because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Give us the will to make things better and the opportunity to act.
Pray for protection
Children who are rescued from traffickers need a safe place to recover from abuse.
It’s common for their former captors to try to recover what they regard as their “property.” World Vision provides survivors with emergency shelter, legal assistance, and counselling.
Dear Lord, You are a strong tower and a mighty fortress. Help Your rescued children feel safe and begin to heal. Protect them from others who seek to harm them.
Pray for restoration
Survivors of human trafficking often suffer severe psychological damage. Their hearts and spirits have been assaulted as much as their bodies. They are ashamed of what has happened to them.
World Vision helps provide a safe environment where children can recover and share happier times with other kids. They also receive vocational training so that they have the chance to become financially secure and make a fresh start.
Dear Lord, Your Word shows that You bring new joy and hope where previously there was only shame and fear. We ask this for our brothers and sisters, who desperately need to accept that they can be made new.
Pray for justice
The men and women who prey on the poor and innocent need to be arrested, prosecuted, and punished for their crimes.
Dear Lord, You demand justice for Your children who have been wronged. Give strength to people who investigate and prosecute traffickers. Encourage them when they are weary. Give courage to survivors when they are asked to testify against their former captors. Let Your justice prevail.
Find out more about child trafficking and our work to end it here.