Tuesday, May 19 – In response to the UN Security Council’s failure to agree a resolution on COVID-19 and to back the UN Secretary General’s call for a global ceasefire, World Vision is urging leaders to try again.
“This ceasefire would offer some children their first taste of peace. That is too important to give up on,” said Andrew Morley, World Vision International President and CEO.
Two months ago, the UN Secretary General issued a plea, urging warring parties to cease conflict “in support of the bigger battle against COVID-19”. Since then, the UN Security Council has been through several rounds of negotiations without reaching agreement on a ceasefire call. It has also been unable to support a wider call for a global cessation of hostilities in support of the bigger battle against COVID-19.
“As we are seeing all over the world, COVID-19 is a grave threat to an entire generation of vulnerable children. The failure to reach agreement on this resolution is regrettable for the most vulnerable children, in places like Syria and Afghanistan,” said Morley.
“We urge governments and all those who love and care for children to get behind a global push for peace, and get these talks back on track. We are asking them to do much more to provide humanitarian access, limit the spread of the virus and safeguard children from its devastating aftershocks, giving them the chance to reach their God-given potential.”