The project seeks to enhance livelihoods in Magarini sub-county by focusing on three main issues. The first concerns promotion of improved crop production, through capacity building and adoption of new farming technologies and on-farm rainwater harvesting technologies.
The second is the introduction of improved local breed chicken in the area for increased indigenous poultry production.
The third aspect will focus on the improving value addition of farm products and marketing to terminal market outlets to boost household economic asset base. The project will also draw on the successes of the Economic development groups in the first phase where more farmers and small-scale traders will be strengthened to mobilize savings and operationalize lending for sustainability of the project.
Funding Agencies: World Vision Hong Kong
Consortium Partners: Government of Kenya, KALRO, FGs, CBOs, Kenya Fruit Solutions Limited and GNorth Limited
National Lead Organization: World Vision Kenya
Geographical Reach: Marafa Area Programme
Duration: (2015 – 2019)
Target Beneficiaries: 37,476
- Improved Commercialization of 3 selected value chains (Cassava, Pineapples and indigenous chicken)
- Strengthen community capacity on savings and loans
- Environmental conservation and Natural Resource
- Improve food security crop production5.Improve and diversify Livestock Production
- Improved Project Monitoring & learning
- Increased household’s income levels through market-focused production and savings mobilization by end of FY 2019
- Improved Environmental Conservation and Natural Resource by end of FY 2019
- Improved Food Security and nutrition diversity for households by the end FY 2019
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation