Emergency Response to Drought affected People in Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana Counties.
The project seeks to mitigate the effects of drought through Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition and cash transfer interventions. It is targeting 17,130 individuals.
Donor: Government of Hong Kong
Amount allocated: $ 600,000
Duration: 12 months (1st July, 2019 to 30th June, 2020)
Target population: 17,130 individuals
- Kenya/Turkana County
- Kenya/West Pokot County
- Kenya/Baringo County
1. Improved access to sustainable and adequate safe water, and hygiene for 17,130 drought affected people in Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana counties
- Four community boreholes rehabilitated/drilled and equipped to supply water to the drought affected populations in Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana Counties.
- Communities and local institutions and children empowered to facilitate sustainable water interventions and services for improved hygiene promotion
2. Provide unconditional multipurpose cash assistance to 300 households affected by drought in Mogotio, Lokis and Bartabwa in Baringo Counties
- 300 drought stricken households with disabled and chronically ill caregivers are supported with multipurpose cash transfers
3. Project activities are accountable to the affected communities in Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana Counties
- Relevant programme information is intentionally provided and communities consulted in a timely, accessible and accurate manner.
- Community feedback and complaints procedures in place that are accessible, safe and effective
- Capacity of staff and partners to implement and reflect accountability principles reflected in program strategy and plans.
1.Rehabilitate and equip 4 boreholes with solar powered pump (2 in Baringo, 1 in West Pokot and 1 in Turkana county)
- Pipeline extension of 12.9 km to water scarce communities (4 km in Baringo, 2.4 km in West Pokot and 3 km in Turkana counties) and 2 water kiosks for each of the 4 villages.
- Rehabilitate, equip with solar powered pump, protect and disinfect 4 existing shallow wells in West Pokot County.
- Rehabilitate 9 cattle troughs for the rehabilitated bore-hole and shallow wells in West Pokot and Turkana Counties (7 in West Pokot and 2 in Turkana).
- Procure, distribute and install 10,000 litre water tanks to 32 drought-affected schools (2 in Baringo and 30 in West Pokot Counties)
- Train 7 water user committees on financial management and operations and maintenance to effectively manage water supply systems in the three counties (Baringo, West Pokot and Turkana)
- Establish and train 32 school health clubs on hygiene promotion and behaviour change practices (30 clubs in West Pokot county and 2 in Baringo county).
2. Conduct community mobilisation, registration and verification of the most vulnerable disabled and chronically ill caregivers affected by drought
- Distribution of cash transfer to 300 beneficiary households
- Conduct post distribution monitoring
- Conduct monthly reconciliation
- Conduct rapid accountability assessment in the three counties
3. Provide communities information about World Vision mandate, values and role, and project
- Regularly consult communities through focus group discussions, surveys, and other methods appropriate for engaging marginalised and vulnerable communities
- Establish the complaints and feedback mechanisms based on the accountability assessment
- Collect feedback and conduct quarterly forums to discuss key feedback with stakeholders
- Conduct staff training on Humanitarian Accountability to support developing and sustaining effective accountability systems as part of their work.
- Build the capacity of the community (Help Desks) on feedback management.