Skip to main content
Access to a Child-Friendly Justice System in Kenya
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
- Children accused of committing offenses, especially minor ones, should be diverted to community based systems instead of going through the court system.
- All Children coming into contact with the law should be provided with free legal aid to help them navigate the justice system.
- The age of criminal responsibility for children should be raised to 12 years, from the current 8 years in Kenya.
- Children in contact with the law should not be mixed with adults in police stations
- All police stations should have functional Child Protection Units to enhance safety of children as they await reintegration or court cases.
- Cases involving children should not take long to conclude
- Area advisory Councils across various parts of the Country should have child friendly mechanisms for enabling children and their families to report cases of child rights violations.